Wednesday, May 9, 2012

My volunteer work

Back in December 2008 I was in my Nursing program at Camosun College. For my first practicum I was placed in a community setting. I was assigned to AIDS Vancouver Island (AVI) for 3 weeks. As part of my introduction to AVI I had to sign up as a volunteer. For my practicum I had to acquire 90 hours of experience working with the clientele the AVI works with, many whom are homeless, fighting addiction, and/or dealing with AIDS & other STI's (sexually transmitted infections).

I really didn't know what I was getting involved in when I first arrived. I was nervous. My fellow classmate who had been assigned with me was also nervous. I at least had had some exposure to AIDS and the people living with it as I have had many friends in my life who became infected. As a gay man it is something that I think about often. My classmate was a young lady from another country and her exposure had been limited to that point. The two of us had a great deal of fun during our 3 weeks. The staff and volunteers at AVI were amazing.

I had enjoyed myself so much while there that when my practicum ended I decided to stick around and continue with the volunteering. I just felt like the right thing for me to do.

In the past I have been a volunteer for a few other organizations and have always had fun. I used to help out at the Boys & Girls club, I was a telephone counselor for People In Need crisis line, did fundraisers for local churches, Blood drives for the Red Cross, and worked with children with disabilities in an integrated daycare. Volunteer work has always been important to me.

Thanks to my nursing program I became involved with a great organization that has been wonderful to me and for me since the day I started. AVI is an organization that depends on its volunteers so they know how to show their appreciation.

During my practicum I had a project that I was required to do. I had to come up with something for the community that was outreach based and provided education. The program leader for the SOS (Street Outreach Services) helped me set up an event for their clientele. I set up a "Chili and a Movie" night during my last week there. They had been looking to set up a regular program that would help them to expand their outreach. So we organized an evening with food, a thought provoking video, had nurses on hand (if anyone needed testing, medical checkups, or had health questions), and encourage everyone to socialize and have fun. It went well. We ran out of food by filling every one's bellies and put smiles on many faces. The nurses were a great help as well. When my instructor saw my project and how things were going she gave me a very good grade. I got an A.

My project also had the effect of creating a monthly program that served dinner, entertained and provided other health services for all that attended. It evolved into "Breakfast for Dinner". Many of the clientele stated that chili is great during the winter but what they really craved was bacon & eggs. It has become a very popular event for AVI. Since then I have helped with several different aspects of the programs with AVI. I have enjoyed things a great deal and will continue as I am able in the foreseeable future.

Recently I was invited to help out with a men's group to see how we can reach out to men in a fun and entertaining way while helping them to become better informed about their health and to encourage a healthier attitude. I look forward to helping out and seeing what we can accomplish.

If you want to know more about AIDS Vancouver Island, I encourage you to go to www.avi.org for more information!

No comments:

Post a Comment