Thursday, June 14, 2012

Homophobia is wrong in so many ways!

I recently came across two YouTube clips about Homophobia. It inspired me to write a blog entry about the same topic. I have included links below for the ones I found. Both are quite different but make good points and are worth checking out. I also found a third site based in Ontario that preaches tolerance among religions to have a well written article regarding the English language and the many meanings of homophobia and related words in society.


Homophobia is a sad thing. 

ho-mo-pho-bi-a: noun
unreasoning fear of or aversion towards homosexuals and homosexuality.

It is sad when some one has an "unreasoning fear or aversion" towards another just because they happen to be homosexual. I just don't get it, well I sorta do but I don't really. 

As a person I am no different than the next. I eat, sleep, work, breathe, defecate, complain, love and live my life just as most any other person would. Just because the other person is sexually, mentally, and emotionally attracted to the opposite gender doesn't make me any more or less a person due to my attraction to the same gender. In comparison we are just as much a like as we are different.

The fact that people judge one another on their differences is part of human nature. It is the idea that the same person who has judge me different from them also uses that difference to justify a fear or hatred towards me. And when the fear or hatred is because the difference between us I was judged on was my sexuality then we have "Homophobia".

I have been fortunate that I have rarely ever been on the receiving end of homophobic actions specifically directed at me. I see it often out in society in general ways. Comments between people who are having a discussion about something and they use a phrase which is often seem as derogatory such as "That's so gay!" or "That was a faggy thing to do!" Their comment usually means they thought something was stupid, uncool, negative or girly in some manner. It is often the case that they are not talking about someone but something and they are only expressing their opinion or feelings about it. I am not against expressing one's feelings or opinions, I just have an issue with how it is done. I often have discussions with my partner about how he expresses himself. I always want him to be aware that certain words said in particular ways can have a tone to them that is received negatively even if the comment was not meant as such. 

Blatant homophobia can be dealt with much easier and in a more direct way. It is the subtle comments and slurs said here and there that are more difficult to combat. It is especially difficult when something is said and the person is unaware they said anything wrong. Even harder when they refuse to acknowledge any wrongdoing on their part when it is brought to their attention. These are usually the types of people that refuse to change in any way at all. Changing people's thought processes and ways of expressing themselves can only work when they are willing to change. Change doesn't work for the unwilling.

I feel that any homophobic act shows a lack of respect towards another person. This lack of respect is prevalent in our modern society. I see it every day when I walk down the streets. The way people talk to and treat one another. I see it with my boyfriend when he talks about stuff in his life. It is a sad state of affairs when the underlining reason for much of the fear and hatred in our world can be attributed to a great lack of respect. If you respect someone you learn to accept them. If you respect something you are willing to learn and understand it. If you respect anything you start to love and appreciate more. It is extremely difficult to fear or hate something that you accept, understand, love or appreciate.

With my boyfriend I try to explain to him how his words can affect others usually by telling him how it affects me and our relationship. He doesn't always agree but he does listen and thinks about it. That is my goal with him. It is a bonus for me after we have those discussions when he comes back later and apologizes for his comment and he shows a greater understanding of the effects of what he said/did. It is the bonus on top of the bonus when he promises to be more aware of it in the future. 

If I could have productive discussions with the masses like I do with my sweetheart then I feel much could be done. Unfortunately I am a not a Public Speaker, too much stage fright! I do feel good when the people I do talk to take this discussion home and share it with others. It reminds me of the old commercial about telling two friend who in turn told two friends that also told two friends and so on and so on. If you can discuss things with people and make enough of an impression that they seriously think about it, then that person will pass  it on to more people. Often that is how attitudes change. It is slow but steady and it works. 

Homophobia is wrong is so many ways. Can you state just how wrong it is? What are your thoughts...

LINKS


No comments:

Post a Comment