Saturday, February 25, 2012

Making Schnitzel

I came across a real simple recipe a few weeks ago and thought I would give it a try as I had never made it before. I love doing that!

The recipe was for Pork Schnitzel. The recipe also suggested that I could use other meats like Veal and Chicken. So far I have only used pork. When I made it that time it was a hit. Simple, tasty and inexpensive. I have discovered in my years of watching cooking shows on TV and experimenting on my own that you can take a cheap cut of meat and make it almost gourmet. If no one knows that it started as a cheap cut then you could almost claim gourmet! hehehehe

To make the Schnitzel I started with sliced pork. I went to the store and bought some cheap cut pork cutlets/chops. At home I trimmed off the excess fat and the bone. Then using my meat hammer/tenderizer I pounded them flat. I would soak flattened meat in milk for about an hour. I find that milk is a natural tenderizer, it also gives the meat a mellow buttery like taste and texture when cooked.

Start by heating up a non-stick pan with oil; medium heat to pan fry. Take the meat that has been sitting in the milk and coat it in flour, dip in egg, then coat in bread crumbs. I usually season the bread crumbs with salt/pepper and sometimes garlic powder. As you coat each one in crumbs add them to the hot pan. Don't put more in the pan than it can easily hold (about 2-3 depending on size of pan). Cook on first side for about 2 minutes then flip and cook other side for 1-2 minutes. Once both sides are a nice rich golden color you have a tasty Pork Schnitzel.
This is my Schnitzel

Now I don't like to waste anything so I save the milk that I soaked the meat in and any leftover egg & flour and use them to make a nice sauce for the schnitzel. I find that a mushroom sauce is a rather tasty option.

Last time I did this I served it with sauteed veggies and some pasta. Typically schnitzel is served with a pasta side dish. Tonight I did it up a little different. Still served the sauteed veggies but this time I made some scalloped cheese potatoes.

Very tasty! It was a hit with the partner and a our dinner guest. Give it a try. You will like it provided you are not a Vegan! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment