Sunday, February 26, 2012

Overtime

My original shift today was 0700-1500. It was a good shift. All went well and I enjoyed my work day.
The problem that tends to happen when working in health care is people get tired & worn out and because of the many illnesses that we are exposed to we get sick as well. this leads to many of us being asked to stay longer to fill in for the sick nurse. That is what happened today. I ended up staying for another 8hrs of work.

This weekend has been one of those times where someone is calling in sick for every shift. Yesterday I was asked if I wanted to work a double shift. I said 'No' mainly because I had not slept well the night before and it would be nice if I could have a relaxing evening and get to sleep at a decent time.

Today they had another nurse call in sick and I was asked if I could stay and do overtime. I said 'Yes' this time. I am so tired even though I slept okay last night. Working 16hours makes for a long day. I don't regret saying yes to the overtime. It makes for a nice sized paycheque when payday comes around.

The way things are working here I could do a doubleshift most every other day at work due to others calling in to say they cannot work. Now if I was a single man I would probably say yes to a lot of overtime as I would have no one at home to worry about. Fortunately for me I have a sweetheart and that gives me a great personal excuse to say no 75% of the time to the extras. This also helps me to not burn out so quickly. I still take on the occaisional shift to help fill in the gaps in my schedule. Because I only work part time I do need to pick up extra shifts once in awhile so that I get a good cheque every 2nd week. Gotta pay the bills.

The boyfriend complains often about it but he doesn't have the debts I do. I often tell him it is the nature of the job. If some one gave me enough money to pay off my debts, buy a car and house then I would cut back and work a lot less. Until then I work as I have to and the boyfriend will just have to suck it up!

Besides, he is pretty cute when he pouts! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment