Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Overtime Pt2

OMG! I love my job but this weekend was a killer!

It seems like everyone under the sun was calling in sick. I was being offered overtime left, right and centre! On Friday & Saturday I said no. I wanted to enjoy my evenings at home with my sweetie. Sunday & Monday I was put in the position where I really had no choice as my relief was non-existent.

One of the downsides to health care and the work I do is that we provide care 24/7. There is always nurses and care aides on shift at our facilities. We typically only work 8 hour shifts (7am-3pm, 3pm-11pm, 11pm-7am). At the end of our shifts we expect that there will be someone there to relieve us, usually that is the case.

This weekend with so many calling in sick they were asking us to extend our hours to cover the shifts that they were unable to fill. Both Sunday and Monday were days like that. I ended up extending my shifts to 16hours. On Sunday I worked from 7am to 11pm. Then I came back on Monday and ended up working 3pm to 7am. The only perk that they were able to give me was an extra day off afterwards. That is not too bad. Gives me more time to sleep and recoup.

Overtime is nice. It pads the paycheque when you are short some hours. Of course you pay more taxes on it but it is still nice.

My sweetheart isn't too happy about it all and I understand. I am doing what I have to but not what I want to. This morning when I got home he was very lovey dovey and it was nice to cuddle up with him and the dog before he left for work. Then I went to sleep and slept the day away. I have no idea if it was a good weather day or not. I do know it was windy as I did go out in the wind a bit ago to buy fixings for dinner.

Tomorrow will be a better day that I can enjoy because I am not working it. Yah!!

No comments:

Post a Comment