Thursday, March 22, 2012

First day...

Well today was my first day working my new position. It went well. I was anxious when I arrived because I have never worked a day shift on this unit. Based on what the other LPNs have said and what I have seen I can tell it is a heavy unit to work on . The work load at this Hospital facility is heavy duty!! I worked with one of the regular LPN's there today helping her with all the little things and taking up some of her duties. She was definitely appreciative. The LPN on the other side had a harder time as she was casual and the RN on that side didn't help her that much which is a shame.

I have found working with some RNs that they have an attitude of "I am the RN and I only do RN duties". Total Bull*&#$! I have worked with some great RNs that help you out because you are a team. By making it easier for you it also gets things done more efficiently and you are more than willing to help them when they need it. That is Team Work! 

So today was a good day. Tomorrow looks to be the same although it depends on how the RN wants things to go. If it is a repeat of today then things will be pretty good. If I am put on the other side of the unit then things will be good too as I will be helping the LPN that had the hard time today. Either way it will be a learning experience for me. 

This would be a cool mug to have.
Previously on this unit I was the graveyard person. So I have a pretty good idea of how the floor is laid out and where things go, but you really don't get to know the residents as well. The routines for each shift are much different too. Day shift is the heaviest with afternoon a close second. Especially with the medications. Graveyards have very little medications to administer but we are busy with all the things put on the duties list to help finish all the work leftover from each day and some prep for the next one. It definitely keeps you running some nights.

After today I can see how some many people get behind on just the basic duties. There is so much to do. It was nice for me and the other LPN as we were able to get all the extras done plus stuff that didn't get done yesterday. I can just imagine how it will be when I am the sole LPN on the floor! This weekend will be a good one as I am the extra nurse helping the regulars. It is a gentle way to ease me into things and I like that.

It probably won't be long until I feel like I am the over worked one! Sad to say that this is a fact of the job these days! My mantra on those days will have to be "I love my job, I really really do love me job!", especially on those days when I don't feel it.

Until that happens though I will be making the most of my work. It is how I usually do things.

No comments:

Post a Comment