Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Walking, walking, walking....

Went for a walk today and decided it was a good idea to take the dog with me; he had been cooped up inside all morning. Three hours and many kilometers later we both have sore feet and are tuckered out.

We started our walk from where I live near Quadra/Hillside area to the downtown library so I could return some books and pick up the ones waiting for me. After the library we sauntered over to Beacon Hill park to let Toby run around a bit as we made our way to Mile Zero on the other side of Beacon Hill Park where the statue of Terry Fox is located. Once we crossed the road to the other side it was an ongoing chore to keep Toby up top on the walkway as he wanted to run down to the water ever chance he could. We walked over to the Breakwater/Ogden Point and then down to the water to enjoy the surf. I figured by this point Toby had been such a good boy listening to me he could go jump in the water. He was a happy dog!

We then walked along the water across the sand, gravel and rocks over to Clover point. It was fun walking on the rocks and sand. It allowed Toby to enjoy the water. I bet if he could have had a choice as to which animal he wanted to be I bet he would've chosen to be a duck; he just loves the water so much. We leisurely walked along so that he could run in and out of the surf and chase a few gulls as we went. I threw a few sticks in for him to fetch. He had a blast. Lots of water, people and places to explore as we made our way to Clover point.

From there in a casual unhurried frame of mind we walked the back roads to home making stops here and there for fresh water, doggie pee breaks and a snack. He was such a good boy today that I rewarded him with some of his favorite treats. He was so tuckered out that he promptly went and laid down to have a rest and recoup his energy. Of course Dan will be home in a couple hours and by then he will be ready for his next walk. Dan will come in the door and Toby will act as if he has been inside all day and be ready and willing to go out and about. Typical dog!

So our leisurely walk today to run an errand, get some exercise for both of us and to the enjoy the rather nice sunny weather we are having today took us a total of about 13Km from beginning to end. Not bad.
Great place to walk the dog!
If you want to see the route we took then check out this link to Google Maps that I created to show you our walk today. We started at Point A and ended up at Point F.
Our Route

Now that we both have had our exercise today I think I will just sit back and enjoy one of the books I got from the library today. I will sit in my chair by the window so I can enjoy the warmth of the sun shining through. Such a great thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment