Sunday, March 18, 2012

Vindaloo from scratch!

So today I decided to make Vindaloo again. This time I wanted to make it from scratch. I love to cook and if I can try something and make it as it is meant to be then I am all for the trying.

I did some searching online and found a recipe that had received some great reviews and comments. Although the recipe had a long spice list, it had very few steps and looked completely doable. One thing I noticed but didn't really think about was the prep time that was listed at the top of the recipe. One and a half hours to two hours to do the prep and cook it. It took me almost the full two hours to make it.
Grinding the whole spices for the vindaloo paste

I started the whole process with buying all the spices that I would need for it and after borrowing the mortar & pestle from the guys upstairs I got started.

Just so you know I have this romanticized notion about grinding the spices in the traditional old fashion way. I know that it would take time and more effort but it would bring out the better flavours in the food, or so I was thinking.

I didn't realized until I got into it just how much hard work it was and how well the spices were ground depended on how much effort I wanted to put forth. Oy! I ground and ground and ground until I was sore and tired from all the grinding. In the end it was totally worth it as I had a wonderfully tasty product to enjoy for dinner. In the days to come I will purchase a spice/coffee grinder for future batches, will be so much easier on my me and my time. It is also my plan to make large batches of the spice/paste mix and freezing it to help save time and effort the next time I make this dish.

Cooking the Vindaloo paste
The main goal in the process is to make a paste that you cook up for the dish. The paste includes all the spices you see above plus some other ingredients that add moisture and texture. The nice thing about this recipe is the hotness level.

The original recipe asks for 5 chili peppers and if you like it with a bite that burns your tongue and makes your nose run then that is the right amount of chilies to use. If you want to experiment then I would suggest using only one or two the first time around. You might want to be able to taste the amazing flavour that the hotness can hide if it is too much for you. Experienced 'spice-aholics' will have no problem with using the 5 chilies or even more. Dan is one of those. The hotter the better!

Finished product.
Well after making the paste and cooking the beef I threw them all together and made the final dish. I usually serve any E. Indian dish that I make with rice. It just seems to go well together. I decided to pan fry some fresh green beans until they were warm and still slightly crisp, tossed them with salt/pepper and butter and served them on the side. Was a pretty good dinner.

Dan was in Awe of my cooking accomplishment. He told me that he has decided to give up cooking all together because he loves mine so much. I told him that he still had to maintain his BBQ King and Omelet Master statuses as he is the best at those. I will do all the rest!

Will definitely get myself the spice grinder and make this dish again and again as I have a great deal of the whole spices left. I could've bought all the spices pre-ground and that is an option for another time or someone else. The heat level was at the upper level of what I could handle but it was perfect for Dan. As I mentioned earlier I figure I will make large batches and freeze them. Quick easy meals.

For those of you that want to try it here is the link where I got the recipe I used:
Beef Vindaloo - The real thing!

On to the next cooking experiment and challenge!! Woohoo!

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear it went well. Cooking is like painting... all the time is in the prep... look at any busy restaurant kitchen. Most things are prepped early in the day. The cooking is usually the quick part. I keep a cheap blade grinder from Zellers, in the drawer just for spices. cost me about $15. i use it for cinnamon, cloves, you name it.

    ReplyDelete