Monday, March 19, 2012

My Passions in Life

Someone asked me on my blog earlier this month what I enjoyed most in life and I took the time in a follow up bog entry to answer the question.

In this blog though I will go in a slightly different direction and answer another aspect of the question that I figure he/she could have asked: What are my Passions in life?

My passions are few and not too many. I believe if you have too many passions then you dilute your enjoyment of the few things you truly hold close to you. Give your passionate focus to a few things and you will truly delight in those self-indulgent moments.

As I have blogged about a few times in the past months, I enjoy cooking. For me it is a life long passion that started when I was old enough to understand what my mom and my grandmothers were doing in the kitchen and what it was they were putting on the table for me. My mother is a woman that believes we should be capable of fending and providing for ourselves. With this in mind she taught me from a young age to be independent and capable. I learned the basics of cooking and developed a love of the kitchen arts rather early; it was one of the first things I learned after self hygiene and housework. Priorities!

Because my mother enjoyed variety in her foods she passed that enjoyment on to me and with an Italian grandmother who prepared fresh food every day for every meal in the traditional manner I learned to enjoy the fruits of my labours in the kitchen. As I got older I learned more and developed a greater passion not just for the eating of good food but also the process and art of preparation. I also like cooking for others and that is another aspect of my passion for cooking.

When it comes to food, not only do I enjoy making a great meal but I also enjoy going out to restaurants with friends/family to enjoy good food. If I find a place the serves food that my tummy loves then I will definitely return many times. Here in Victoria I have my favorites. Thanks to my mother I enjoy a variety of foods, many of them of ethnic origins. From East to West I enjoy most any food. After all food could be considered my greatest passion as it is intertwined with so much of my life.

I also enjoy reading, another passion that I got from my mother. Mind you my passion for reading borders on an addiction. I find that I go through withdrawal like symptoms when I don't have a book to read when I want. I will make time in a very busy day just so I can read. I even fore go sleep just to read the next chapter in a riveting story. The library is one of my favorite places to go as they have more books than I ever will. Although one of my greatest dreams is to have my own home library. I want to have a place in my home that I can have a copy of every book I have read and enjoyed. Because I enjoy reading so much I will read a good book over and over, especially the really really good ones. My mother was a bit of a bookworm and she encouraged me to read anything and everything. I prefer Sci-Fi/Fantasy based novels but I do enjoy other types once in a while for variety.

You could say that the biggest passions in my life are food/cooking and reading. Nothing else seems to come  close to my love and enjoyment of those two things. They are also the Passions that will always be a part of my life.

Other passions in my life that I do enjoy:

  1. Hanging out with my sweetheart - he had to be at the top of this list!
  2. Going out with friends/family to be social and active.
  3. Relaxing at home, usually with a good book.
  4. Movies - either in the theatre or at home.
  5. Writing - with this blog I indulge this passion.
  6. Gardening - I have a friend with a good yard that gets some of my attention.
  7. Pets - Got a dog and a cat to love.

Some past passions that had their day but I still enjoy once in awhile when they enjoy a resurgence:

  1. Running
  2. Cycling
  3. Arts & Crafts
  4. Volunteering
  5. Singing
  6. Antiques
  7. Astrology

As I mentioned earlier I do like to keep my passions to a small list as it allows me to focus more attention on them. My passions do come and go as well. I will usually stick with one for a few years then my attention moves to something new. I will return to an old passion when I have either had my fill of the current one or something from a previous one sparks my interest again.

Some ebb and flow like the tides of life others stay with me forever. What are your passions?

No comments:

Post a Comment