Friday, April 20, 2012

I learned how to make Butter Chicken

O-M-G! This was SO GOOD!

Earlier this week I extended my afternoon shift 4hrs into the night shift to help out because someone called in sick. One of the ladies at work that night brought in the ingredients to show one of her co-workers how to make the delicious dish. Because I am an avid foodie and self proclaimed home chef I stood by to watch her make it.

It is such a simple recipe. I have looked online at many butter chicken recipes and they are so involved; a long list of ingredients and multiple steps. This lady had a short list, few steps and it was done in 30 minutes. Some of the best butter chicken I have had in my life.

After enjoying two helpings of this scrumptious food I wrote down the recipe and had her approve it. This week I am definitely going to make this for dinner. Here's hoping it turns out for me the same way.

She started things out simply by cutting up about 1-2lbs of chicken and then adding some plain yogurt, Madras Curry powder, Cumin seeds and Chili powder. She mixed it all up and then let it sit in the fridge for awhile to let it marinated. She suggested I let it sit over night to let the flavours soak into the chicken. She also claimed that you could use Tofu as a substitute for those that wanted to go the vegetarian route.

She brought the marinated chicken to work and then started to prepared the rest in the pan. In a large deep pan she heated up a couple tablespoons of vegetable oil then added some garlic puree, ginger puree and tomato paste. After cooking that for a few minutes she added more cumin seeds, madras curry and chili powder and sauteed it for a few more minutes.

Next the chicken and yogurt mixture were added to the pan. As the chicken was cooking she would add a bit of water to help prevent the food from burning and sticking to the bottom of the pan. You have to constantly stir it. When the chicken was pretty much cooked she added some salt, butter, a can of coconut milk, regular milk and cilantro. She let that come to a light boil and then simmer for a bit until the desired thickness of the sauce was achieved.

She served it on rice with a bit of extra cilantro on top. YUMMY!
__________________________________________________________

So I made it this week for me and Danny boy and it turned out quite good! I think I will add more chili and some cayenne spices next time to give it more zing as Dan and I like the more spicy foods. It was so creamy and rich tasting. I will absolutely be making this dish again! I made so much that I had it for my lunch twice! Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment