Wednesday, February 15, 2012

If you love Bacon...


A little while ago I went to a birthday potluck for a dear friend. We all contributed some pretty taste food. The company was great as always. The birthday boy got lots of Hugs 'N' Love from all his friends. As a treat the hostess made him a speciality cake that was shaped like something that most any gay man would love! Yes THAT shape.  ;-) It was Yummy!!!

Well for my gift to him I made the rather delicious recipe listed below. Why? The birthday boy loves bacon! So I thought I would cater to his love of this particular food. I found the recipe on a website some time ago.  A mutual friend of the birthday boy and I had posted something on her FB page about Bacon Jam. Now it sounds weird and probably not too tasty sounding for some but it is really something worth trying. I was looking at the recipe and decided that it was a little too involved as I didn't have a lot of time to spare to make it. So I decided I would try the less time consuming and weird sounding Bacon Pate.

O.M.G. Was it ever decadent! Savoury and rich and to die for! The recipe doesn't make a whole lot (enough to fill a small jam jar) but then with something this rich tasting you do not want to over do it. A small amount is just right. 

Although the recipe uses a whole package of bacon it is not greasy at all. But I must warn you it is slightly fattening. But then when isn't the best tasting stuff not so eh!?

With prep and cook time it took me about an hour to make. Less time than the jam version. Give it a try. I guarantee that if you love bacon then you will love this recipe.



Bacon Pâté
Makes 1 cup
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 300g/10.6ozs. bacon, chopped
  • 2 medium carrots, diced
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 large clove garlic, minced
  • 1 TB minced fresh chives
  • 1 tsp minced fresh thyme (or 1/3 tsp dried thyme)
  • 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1 tsp brown sugar
  • 1 tsp soy sauce (or tamari)
  • 1/8 tsp black pepper
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat; add bacon and cook until crispy (about 5 minutes), stirring occasionally. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and set aside for now.
2. Turn heat down to low and to the same pot, add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, onion, carrot, and bay leaf; cook until the veggies are softened (about 15 minutes), stirring occasionally. Add garlic, chives, and thyme and cook another 2 minutes. Cool slightly, remove bay leaf, then transfer the bacon and veggies to a food processor along with 1/2 c water; puree until smooth, making sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl a few times. Or just use a stick blender like I did (I used my Braun cordless stick blender which I am completely in love with).
3. Transfer the puree back into the pot and add vinegar, brown sugar, soy sauce, and pepper; bring up to a boil, then turn heat down and simmer until it forms a smooth, thick paste (about 25-30 minutes), stirring occasionally.
Darkly delicious after just 30 minutes!

Here is the original link for both recipes. Both come from a site called "Not quite Nigella". Her site is worth checking out too.

No comments:

Post a Comment