Saturday, March 10, 2012

Cherishable moments

Today Dan and I went up to Qualicum Beach to visit his Nana. Unfortunately she is terminally ill with Pancreatic Cancer. Although this is a sad time for all of us it was a good visit and we are both the richer for it.

Our trip up to see her started as most trips do with us walking out the door. It was at that moment when I had my first 'cherish the moment' event of the day. As I was walking from the door to the car I had this wonderful feeling. In the back of my mind were many thoughts about how my life is right now. I have a job that is challenging, satisfying and pays well. I have friends and family that love me. Rent is paid and bills are up to date. It was a bright warm day. I was about to join my sweetheart and our dog in the car for a trip upisland to see another loved one. All together these thoughts engendered a warm glow within my core. It made that very moment special and cherishable.

While driving upisland to see Nana, Toby (the dog) was in the back seat with his head resting on the centre console and I was holding Dan's hand as he drove. Every once in awhile one of us would squeeze the other's hand and receive a return squeeze. Occasionally Toby would sit up and rest his head on either my shoulder or Dan's shoulder. Whenever he did that we would rest our head on his or turn our head to give him a little kiss on the snout. Little moments like this have their own special magic due to how they make you feel.

While up visiting with Nana we enjoyed great conversation. We shared stories of Nana's past, how our lives are currently, our thoughts and feelings about today's world and just little bits of life here and there. Like I stated before it was great. Our visit was only about 2-3 hours long. It was enough for today. We made plans for the following weekend and we shall see how that goes.

On the drive back we stopped at the Pioneer House restaurant at Whippletree Junction. (I have talked about this place in a previous blog post dated Feb. 11/12.) We had a nice meal sitting across the table from one another talking a bit about how the afternoon went. On the remainder of the drive home we sat quietly and held hands while listening to music from my iPod. Dan has one of those car stereos where we can connect an external music source like an iPod, it is great for road trips when you get sick of the CDs and the radio isn't getting any decent stations. Sometimes a break from talking is healthy. It can be good to relax, listen to music while your mind ruminates on the various thoughts in your own head. Every once in awhile one of us would start singing along with the song and that would make us each smile.

Now this evening we are at home watching some TV programs, blogging and relaxing. A good combo I feel.  Nothing extravagant or truly special but it is nice and calm. Our day has been a heart warming one full of cherishable moments. I have days like this once in awhile and I like to remember them as much as I can. The days and moments that evoke really strong emotional tones are usually the ones I recall the best. Today wasn't one that I will recall all the details too but I will remember having a day like this at this time in my life.

It is good for all of us to recognize these moments when they happen. To remember them as best as we can. To enjoy them as much as possible. Some of us are fortunate to have many of these and others only have a few but regardless I feel that they are all worth cherishing. If you are able to increase the amount of times this in your life then I applaud you for that, is a worthwhile goal.

Take the time to cherish your moments!

1 comment: